PFLAG Manistee is concerned for the safety and health of all young people. To that end, we established an Anti-Bullying Committee to address the problem of bullying in our community and particularly in the schools in Manistee County. We hosted two workshops in association with Michigan State University Extension for teachers and other adults who work with young people to offer information on the identification and prevention of bullying. We also conducted a poetry and art contest for students in Manistee County schools to submit projects on the theme of bullying. We anticipate continuing to work toward a safe and healthy environment for all young people, free from the fear of physical or emotional bullying.
LGBT Resource Center
Together, PFLAG Manistee and West Shore Community College have created the LGBT Resource Center, a small selection of books, media, and contact information for community resources. Anyone within West Shore’s service district can check out materials.
Other activities include:
- Assisting with the Equality Rally in Ludington
- Hosting speakers such as David Hawley and Jani Wild
- Showing the documentary Gender Revolution at the Vogue Theater
- Holding vigils for Orlando shooting victims at Holy Trinity in Manistee and the People’s Church in Ludington
- Attending statewide events such as the SOGI Initiative